2014 IHBC Annual School
The Art of Conservation
Edinburgh, Thursday 5th to Saturday 7th June
Main School venue
18 Holyrood Park Road
Chancellor’s Court is modern 3* campus accommodation. Each room has Freeview TV, telephone, free cabled internet access, tea/coffee-making facilities and laundry facilities.
Edinburgh City Chamber
IHBC Annual Dinner venue
Summerhall was built for The University of Edinburgh Veterinary College between 1913-1925. Work ceased on the outbreak of the First World War as young men volunteered to join the armed services and there was a shortage of building labour.
One of the most beautifully preserved rooms is the Anatomy Lecture Theatre with its wooden, curved, tiered seating and vaulted sky light. It is the last surviving example of this type of lecture theatre at veterinary colleges in the United Kingdom.
From 1916 until 2011 The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, affectionately known to all as the Dick Vet, was located at Summerhall. The School was founded by William Dick in 1823 and moved here from Clyde Street in north Edinburgh.
When The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies relocated to a new campus, at Easter Bush seven miles south of the city of Edinburgh, the intriguing space that Summerhall occupies faced an uncertain future. In January 2011 it was acquired by the McDowell family and is now being cultivated as a hub for the arts and all things creative.
Registered as a Charity No1061593 Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered in England No. 3333780
Registered as a Charity in Scotland: No. SC041945 Registered Office: 3, Stafford Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent. TN2 4QZ