30 July – 1 August 2018
Location: Heritage Craft Alliance Ltd, The Training Centre, Thorp Perrow, Bedale, DL8 2PR
About this event
The intermediate carving course follows on from our introduction course.
You will be able to tackle more free-form work to produce an art piece.
You will be able to prepare, carve and cut letters for any purpose.
How to book
|3 Day Course – £295 +VAT (light lunch and refreshments included)
To Book: Telephone 01677 422289 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Heritage, Risk & Resilience
confronting conservation calamities
Fire / Flood / Structural Failure
Full School: Thursday 4 – Saturday 6 July 2019
Day School: Friday 5 July 2019
- Technical, practical and strategic
- Tours in Nottingham, Leicester, Derby & the East Midlands
- Heritage challenges and insights into solutions
- Up to 20 hours Continuing Professional Development linked
- Planning for the worst: dealing with the aftermath
- Business opportunities: Sponsors, exhibitors & much more
- Case studies and practical advice
For further details see nottingham2019.ihbc.org.uk and keep updated via the IHBC NewsBlogs
25-27 August 2018
Llanthony Secunda Priory
Carrie Horwood of Cat’s Eye Carving is once again organising this years stone carving festival in Gloucester.
With work progressing well at Llanthony Secunda Priory, where the festival will be held, there will be plenty to celebrate during the August bank holiday as the site becomes ready to welcome visitors as an historic attraction.
Carrie hopes to attract more than 20 stonemasons and carvers to take part in the contest. They will have the opportunity to carve some of the original stone taken from the old stable block of the Priory during the recent renovation work (carried out with the help of £3million from the Heritage Lottery Fund) as well as newly quarried Cotswold stone.
The theme this year is mythical creatures. Carrie herself plans to carve a beastie as a raffle prize.
The carvers will have Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning to complete their creations before offering them up for the grand live auction on Bank Holiday Monday afternoon.
If you are an accomplished mason or carver wanting to take part, or a trader who would like to have a stall at the event, email Carrie on email@example.com
Further details here>>
17 July 2018
Join us at HS1 offices (5th floor, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9AG) which enjoy good views over this part of north London and hear from members of Conisbee’s heritage team on some of their recent work appraising historic plaster ceilings, surveying industrial gasholders and examining the fabric of a unique country house.
Conisbee is an award winning civil and structural engineering design practice with offices in London, Norwich and Cambridge. Conisbee has a specialism in heritage engineering with engineers who are CARE registered.
TIME – The AGM starts at 6.00pm
COST – Free
All members attending the AGM will receive a free glass of wine.
It is essential you book through Eventbrite as your name will be requested at King’s Place reception that you will find on your right, opposite the box office and just after the Pangolin Sculpture Gallery.
TO RESERVE A PLACE, RSVP @ – https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ihbc-london-agm-heritage-engineering-talk-tickets-47203317393
TRAIN STATIONS – Kings Cross / St Pancras
7 July 2018
Tower blocks have had a chequered history and their survival in the UK remains uncertain. In this one-day event, we look at their history, their changing technical characteristics, the reception of them by residents and the public, the maintenance and upkeep of them by their owners, their safety and their prospects for the future.
Among our speakers will be:
- Professor Stefan Muthesius, co-author with Miles Glendinning of Towers for the Welfare State (published by the Scottish Centre for Conservation Studies);
- Emma Dent Coad, MP for Kensington, former member of the tenant management association that oversaw Grenfell Tower, and member of the Docomomo Working Party;
- Ian Abley, a specialist in construction detailing, compliance, snagging, and the requirements of façade, structural and services engineers;
- Asterios Agkathidis of Liverpool University, a specialist in sustainable retrofit;and others.
For more info please go to: https://www.docomomo.uk/copy-of-11-nov-ticket-page
Featured image: Grenfell Tower via https://goo.gl/images/Tz12ZS