23 – 24 January 2018
Merryhill Training Centre, Fife
The most popular two day introductory course – this practical workshop will provide attendees with a strong understanding of lime technology.
The reasons for using traditional mortars on solid walls will also be explained, to allow you to better advise clients. The course will guide participants to be able to complete pointing work to traditional buildings to a high standard.
The content of this workshop provides the underpinning knowledge required for assessment and accreditation of SQA National Unit 1 – ‘Preparing and Using Basic Lime Mixes’.
• Understanding traditional building technology.
• Understanding the range of binders, sands and aggregates for traditional mortars.
• Ability to undertake accurate mixing for repeatability and cost effective work.
• Understanding the setting characteristics of lime mortars.
Day 1 – Making Traditional Mortars
• Health and Safety issues
• Historic use of lime mortars
• Processing lime
• Best practice for mortar mixing
• Inspecting masonry
• Using the right tools
Day 2 – Using Traditional Mortars
• Preparing masonry joints
• Techniques of working
• Placing of mortar for repointing
• Joint finishing
• Curing and protection regimes