1 June 2017
Architect William Adam designed Duff House for William Duff, Lord Braco (later 1st Earl Fife) an astute businessman and politician who wanted not only to succeed, but also to be seen to succeed
In 1735 work began on Adams’ design with elaborately carved details being produced in Adam’s own stonework’s in Queensferry. In 1741 worked stopped. Copies of Adam’s original plans, which hang in the buildings study, show the grand curved east and west wings that were never built. By the 1950s, the building had fallen into disrepair and was taken into state care. An extensive programme of conservation works were undertaken and in 1995 Duff House reopened.
This spring and summer a further programme of conservation works will take place including the repointing of chimneys and re-capping of their flues. On this Insight Tour join Historic Environment Scotland’s District Architect, on the high level scaffolding at Duff House, to see and hear about this latest programme of conservation works.